Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A life without purpose

Lately I've been wondering what I'm going to do with my life.  Being laid off on the end of December has given me some time to reflect on what I have done and what I'd like to do.  I've worked almost non-stop since I was 14 years old in some capacity.  I worked 2 jobs in high school to pay for my car and insurance.  I was never out of work for more than a week at a time while I moved or transitioned into a new job.  Even when I was pregnant and on modified bed rest, I worked at a kiosk in the mall.  The only time I can remember being unemployed was for 2-3 months after my son was born.

Now that I've been off work for a month I'm beginning to wonder who I am.  I've never been a person that has a special passion for a certain career path.  Necessity has given me the desire to work so I can provide for my family.  I don't really care what that work is, as long as I can pay my bills and I'm not doing anything illegal or immoral.

Unfortunately, I'm not stuck trying to decide what my next career path with be.  The last 12 years were spent in a call center environment that doesn't really offer many other options in this area.  There are several offers for jobs if I want to move but I'm really scared to do that.  All of my family is here, what do I do if I get to Texas or Kansas and something happens?  I'm stuck with no support system to help me.

My severance runs out the beginning of June so I have to decide something before then so I know what to look for and where to start applying.  If the time slips away too fast I may not have any choice but to entertain offers outside Indiana.  That could be a very tough decision and I'm not ready to make it yet.

Feel like I'm living here...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. If you have feedback, please leave it. I may have strong feelings about things but I know that doesn't make them right...all the time. Give me your perspective but...be nice! I don't need a bunch of strangers being nutso in my life! :) Thanks