Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) Day 2

I got my HRM in the mail yesterday and I was so excited I just had to try it out immediately.  I decided to put it on for a couple hours even though I was just working around the house doing laundry, dishes, etc.  At the end of an hour and 50 minutes, it said I had burned 1300+ calories.  I'm not sure that is accurate because I didn't feel like I had worked hard and my average HR was only 104. I think I may have had the monitor on too tight so it was over exaggerating my results.

Today, I did a short WATP video for 1 mile or about 22 minutes.  At the end, it said I have burned 428 calories.  I then found some information that suggested I should subtract my BMR (Base Metabolic Rate) from that number because I should only be counting "extra" calories burned during my work out.

So, my BMR is 2460 calories, divide that by 1440 minutes in a day and you get the calories burned per minute of normal, daily activity.

In this case 428 calories burned - (22 mins*1.71 calories/min) = 390 calories total (extra) burn.

It appears at this time I burn about 100 calories an hour as my base rate.  Will need to keep that in mind for future work out!


Not too bad for 22 minutes of "walking" in my bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. If you have feedback, please leave it. I may have strong feelings about things but I know that doesn't make them right...all the time. Give me your perspective but...be nice! I don't need a bunch of strangers being nutso in my life! :) Thanks