Friday, December 18, 2015

Freezing your ass off doesn't create awareness

I have no problem with people that want to help others. In fact, I wish there were more people that could/would do it. I wish I could do more but it's difficult to do when you aren't fully motivated at times. I admit that I don't do as much to help others as I could. Partially because I don't always have the financial means, partly because I don't really know quite where to start. Mostly because there's always that little part of me that believes my help would be shunned or unappreciated. I know, sounds dumb but that thought is always there in my mind.

This guy let a homeless man live in his house while the homeowner stays in a tent in the freezing cold to raise awareness of the homeless situation. You know, I'm all for raising awareness but here are my concerns with this...

1. He's in the freezing cold, risking his health
2. If it's that cold, not many people will even be out to see him
3. If they are out, the aren't going to want to stop and talk in the cold
4. Does he really think they are going to be any more aware of him than the actual homeless guy?

Maybe go to some organizations that help the homeless and get some information to pass around to people he knows. Educate people on what it's like and how they can help. But don't just sit around risking your own life...how can you be of any help to the homeless if you're dead.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. If you have feedback, please leave it. I may have strong feelings about things but I know that doesn't make them right...all the time. Give me your perspective but...be nice! I don't need a bunch of strangers being nutso in my life! :) Thanks