Tuesday, June 28, 2011

When did mediocrity become the norm?

Perhaps it's because I'm frustrated with my lack of direction lately. Most certainly it's because I have become more critical of employees in the service industry that have jobs, yet provide poor service when I cannot land a job to save my life.

What I cannot understand is why employers and even employees themselves feel that mediocre service is acceptable today. People don't seem to take pride in their work anymore and employers don't seem to care. Maybe it's not that they don't care, it's that they are so used to poor performance they don't know how to stop it.

It comes down to a matter of respect. Respect for your job, your employer and yourself. Why would you purposely take a job in a service industry and then make yourself and your employer look horrendous by providing poor service to the public? Every job is worth doing well...if you don't like what you are doing, find something else. Hating your job is no excuse for making someone else miserable.

At the suggestion of some friends I'm going to begin blogging about my experiences with people in the service industry. Maybe I'll even include some stories about my job hunting if that continues any longer, although I'm hoping I can remove unemployment expert from my resume some time soon.

Check back frequently for some stories and such from me if you are interested. I'd be very interested in hearing your stories and feedback as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. If you have feedback, please leave it. I may have strong feelings about things but I know that doesn't make them right...all the time. Give me your perspective but...be nice! I don't need a bunch of strangers being nutso in my life! :) Thanks