Saturday, July 25, 2015

Arguing gun control

What concerns me about stories like this is that they are almost an argument FOR more tracking and gun control. Think about it. The author repeatedly mentions how the current system doesn't have access to enough information to detect that the applicant is lying. What would be the obvious solution to this problem? More tracking & databases of health/mental issues and gun owners in general.

So, the Louisiana theater shooter lied on his handgun purchase application. Should we be surprised? I can honestly say that it's almost too easy to buy a gun these days (in some states).

I can go into a store and walk out with any gun (that I can afford) within 30 minutes with no hassle or suspicion at all. No waiting period in my home state and a very short form to complete. What if I lie on the form about my history? Would they catch it? How could they detect a lie about mental health when that information is protected as confidential?

While I don't want my personal health history made public, I don't have a problem with a database that includes items like this to check when someone wants to buy a gun.

I know that makes me a traitor to many 2A supporters but I cannot agree with blindly allowing anyone to buy a gun as their "right". Unfortunately, times have changed and we have to adapt to keep ourselves safe...from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. If you have feedback, please leave it. I may have strong feelings about things but I know that doesn't make them right...all the time. Give me your perspective but...be nice! I don't need a bunch of strangers being nutso in my life! :) Thanks