Friday, June 13, 2014

Stop forcing discrimination on our kids

Elementary kids call out LEGO for discriminatory play sets

I find this comment from a viewer interesting:
"I have always been frustrated that LEGO decided they had to market separately to boys and girls, and that "girls" sets had to be pink and purple and pastel. Until that point I had not realized that primary colors were for boys only."

Perhaps this is because the commentor is more open minded and doesn't let themselves get pigeon holed into what people think is male or female appropriate. I think we spend way too much time looking for discrimination in everything that we do and it's what is causing the world to be such a negative, bitter place.

Yes, it's great that Lego now wants to make these more "fair" and put more variety in their toys but these kids didn't know the difference until an adult pointed this out...I'm sure of it. They didn't feel discrimination before but now they do and will probably continue to look for this in everything for the rest of their lives.

Congratulations, we've just made a new generation of paranoid, hypocondriacs who will want to sue everyone for some sort of discrimination when things don't go their way.

Ok, maybe most of these kids won't even remember this "project" when they get older but I do not like the fact that this idea of discrimination was placed in their head and then pounded home day after day as they "researched" each play set to see what sort of options were included.

I'm just so sick of kids being taught to hate and look for the bad things at such a young age. They'll figure it out on their own...let them be young and oblivious to the big bad world as long as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. If you have feedback, please leave it. I may have strong feelings about things but I know that doesn't make them right...all the time. Give me your perspective but...be nice! I don't need a bunch of strangers being nutso in my life! :) Thanks