Sunday, August 28, 2011

Parental Bargaining...and a little bribery!

Josh wants a smart phone. I know, what teen doesn't. I have no issues with him having one; however, he has "broken" at least 6 cell phones in the last few years and he is out of upgrades. Now, when I say broken I mean they have non-functioning screens, loose hinges or they've been taken swimming. Basically, he's very hard on his phones and he has yet to learn how to take care of things. It's finally time he learned some responsibility and priorities.

I found a phone that we can both agree on; however, I refuse to buy it "for no reason" so he has to wait until at least Christmas. I figured that gives him several months to prove to me that he is able to take care of it, among other things, and be responsible in other areas (school).

We are making an official chore chart, establishing a weekly allowance if things are met and he must improve his grades. Shouldn't be hard since he's at a D or below in almost everything already. All because he doesn't want to do his homework! Why is it so hard to understand that homework must be done and that it's not that big of a deal?

Heck, I'll even help but he's got to tell me what he has and actually try. Guess we'll see how this goes and if he actually earns his new phone at Christmas time. I hope he can get some motivation and I hope I can stand my ground and not give in because he decides to throw a fit. Unfortunately, I do that alot...I know it's one of my flaws but I'm trying to correct it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. If you have feedback, please leave it. I may have strong feelings about things but I know that doesn't make them right...all the time. Give me your perspective but...be nice! I don't need a bunch of strangers being nutso in my life! :) Thanks