Thursday, July 7, 2011

Time off for good behavior

Let me just start by saying, I do not believe in time off for good behavior. It is my opinion that you should complete your full sentence, regardless of your crime, and no options for parole or early time off should even be considered.

It shouldn't be that difficult to behave well when you are incarcerated and limited to certain activities. Not to mention that a short period of "good behavior" in no way cancels out whatever crime you committed that put you behind bars in the first place.

Perhaps if the laws were more strict the crime rate wouldn't be so high and we wouldn't have repeat offenders out on the street so quickly.

In Indiana, there is a "law" that gives a 1/2 day of credit for every 1 day of "good behavior". Therefore, if you are deemed to have "good behavior" each day, you could potentially be released only serving half of your sentence.

That is NOT acceptable. I understand the situation with over crowded jails and such; however, early release is only a temporary solution. Most likely, those folks are going to re-offend and end up right back where they started. Punishments need to be more harsh and they should be completed in full. None of this time off for good behavior!

Good behavior is what we expect of you when you are incarcerated...you don't behave, we should add on to your sentence. Not give credit for doing what you should have done in the first place...be good.

It's like a job...I shouldn't have to reward you for just showing up and doing the basics but I'm definitely going to punish (fire) you if you don't do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. If you have feedback, please leave it. I may have strong feelings about things but I know that doesn't make them right...all the time. Give me your perspective but...be nice! I don't need a bunch of strangers being nutso in my life! :) Thanks