Monday, July 11, 2011

Electronic Meth Tracking

The meth problem in Indiana has gotten really bad. There has to be a way to stop it. What can be done? 1 step in the right direction is a new law that will track ephedrine & pseudoephedrine purchases electronically. This article talks about the changes taking place effective January 1st, 2012.

This is a big improvement over the manual, paper records that were only compiled at the pharmacy level. It should make it easier for pharmacies and law enforcement to track and harder for meth makers to purchase large quantities of this drug within the state of Indiana.

What about those that cross the state line to Illinois or Kentucky which is a short drive away? Is the electronic system only being used at stores within the Indiana state line? This will help alot for those meth users that are too lazy to cross the border but most of them will eventually "get smart" and go elsewhere.

Also, the max limit per 30 day period is 240 pills. I can't think of any legitimate need for that many pills per month. Shouldn't this limit be much lower? I know this is lower than the previous limit but it's still too much for me. I'm not sure how many pills it takes to make meth but we need to lower this limit.

What else could be done to prevent the meth making problem?
- Lower the number of pills allowed per month
- Require a prescription for products containing ephedrine or pseudoephedrine
- If a purchase is attempted that is over the monthly limit, contact police immediately

I'm not sure how they plan to log these folks into the system but I sincerely hope they require a valid state issued ID and are logging them based on several factors that can be cross-referenced in the event someone has multiple ID's with different information.

There have been way too many labs and explosions in the state over the last year and something needs to be done. Police officers should not have to risk their lives for this sort of foolishness.

On a lighter note, check out the Faces Of Meth - Before & After pics. Here is one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. If you have feedback, please leave it. I may have strong feelings about things but I know that doesn't make them right...all the time. Give me your perspective but...be nice! I don't need a bunch of strangers being nutso in my life! :) Thanks