Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Attn Employers: TAKE A CHANCE

I'm sure by now everyone is well aware of the state of the economy, the job market, etc. Many people that had long standing careers are now "out on the streets"...working hard to find a new place that will take them in and provide them a decent income to support their families.

In many cases, these folks had 10+ years with their previous employer, often working in multiple roles and departments to learn all they could about the industry they had chosen. All too often, these companies were merged or purchased by larger organizations and changes were made...often leaving tenured employees without a job or security.

Oh sure, there are jobs out there...the problem? Those folks that fall in the middle...like me! I've had 12 years of experience in financial services ranging from call center supervision to fraud to client engagement. Yes, I have a good deal of experience (for my age)...what I don't have is a degree.

During the last 6+ months of job hunting I've found that employers seem to want start up folks that will settle for a lower wage or experienced folks with a degree. (Although a degree isn't always a guarantee of higher wages either.) Unfortunately, I fall in the middle. I don't have a degree so I don't even get a call for the higher profile jobs that I'm qualified to do. But I'm considered overqualified to be a bank teller or cashier and can't get a call back for those jobs either. I've been turned down at least 3 times in the last 2 months for bank teller jobs without even being given a chance. Very frustrating.

I think most people in my position understand that they may be taking a pay cut in situations like this. I was spoiled at my last job and made good money. I have no expectation to make that much starting out anywhere else, and that's ok.

All I'm asking for is a chance. Take a moment to speak with me...even if it's just on the phone and find out what my situation is, what I'm looking for and why I might be applying for a lower paying job. I don't want to be on unemployment...I'd much rather work for my money and do something that gives meaning to my life. :)

Think about it, you could be passing up some talented folks that would be an asset to your organization, just because you assume you know what they want. TAKE A CHANCE! I'm worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. If you have feedback, please leave it. I may have strong feelings about things but I know that doesn't make them right...all the time. Give me your perspective but...be nice! I don't need a bunch of strangers being nutso in my life! :) Thanks