Sunday, June 5, 2011

Are we becoming lazier?

It seems in this day and age, we are all expecting technology to do everything for us. We can barely function if we have to do something manually and want computer programs to do the thinking for us. I'm using an online program that allows you to track calories in and out as well as interact with others on multiple message boards. I have to say that I am saddened by the number of people on that site that absolutely refuse to try to do anything for themselves.

If they have a question about the program...instead of using the HELP section at the top of each page, they post the question in a forum. This wouldn't be a huge deal except for the fact that the questions have almost all been answered if they would take a moment to look for the answer first. All these duplicate postings make it nearly impossible to find and answer the legitimate questions from folks that really need help.

I also find it irritating when people post "suggestions" that they feel should be made immediately on a website that is being offered to them for free. Here are a few that I've seen on the dieting site that made me chuckle.

1. When I enter a food that is high in calories, the system should suggest healthier food options for me.
    ME: Ok, I can see some benefit to this but this is asking the system to do way too much work. How do these people ever expect to live a healthy life if they can't even make food decisions for themselves?

2. If I only have 400 calories left for the day, the system should tell me what I should eat to stay within my calorie goal.
    ME: Same as #1...people need to stop being so dependent on technology and learn to think for themselves.

3. I've logged into the system for 150 days but my screen only says 35. Please fix this ASAP as it's discouraging not to see the correct number.
    ME: I get that it's encouraging to see how many days you have consistently logged into the system to track your food. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND why people place so much importance on silly little things like this. I know people need different types of encouragement but if you are at the point where you want to binge eat because your log-in counter is off, maybe you should seek professional help. Just my opinion! :)

Anyway, enough of this little rant. I deleted all my friends from that site and made my profile private so I can just focus on logging my calories without getting involved in all the drama. Unfortunately, there is no way to hide the links to the forum posts so I have to try really hard to avoid looking at them. I really wanted to be able to help people but the stupid posts overtook the legit ones and I could no longer stand it. I just try to stay away from it if at all possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. If you have feedback, please leave it. I may have strong feelings about things but I know that doesn't make them right...all the time. Give me your perspective but...be nice! I don't need a bunch of strangers being nutso in my life! :) Thanks