Monday, March 28, 2011

Can Tea Replace Water?

I saw this article on the MFP boards today and was surprised at how many people were ready to jump on the band wagon and replace their water with tea. Granted, it would be nice to be able to cut back on the water and drink something with a bit of a flavor but I just can't seem to agree with the findings in this study.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1370539/A-cup-tea-good-water-study-suggests.html

I have several concerns or issues with the information in this article so here they are. Let me know how you feel.
1. The study was done in the UK, where tea is a big part of life if I'm not mistaken. :)
2. The study only included 21 volunteers...not nearly enough for this to be considered hard evidence.
3. They served the water warm and allowed them to add milk to their tea.

I'm not a dietitian but I know from personal experience and tea and coffee are diuretics and cause me to be more thirsty afterwards than water. I suppose it is possible that many people don't have that same reaction to tea and such but I do not feel a 21 person study is sufficient evidence to make me replace my daily water intake with tea.
Photobucket
What are your thoughts?

Cold Winter Hot Chocolate Smiley Smilie Emoticon Animated Animation Gif Pictures, Images and Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. If you have feedback, please leave it. I may have strong feelings about things but I know that doesn't make them right...all the time. Give me your perspective but...be nice! I don't need a bunch of strangers being nutso in my life! :) Thanks