Tuesday, February 22, 2011

HRM Accuracy?

I've been using my HRM for about 2 weeks and I feel like it gives me that extra kick to work out.  I really want to see what the total calorie burn will be once I'm done and it's cool to watch how my heart rate changes during different activities.

I'm just not sure if it's accurate or not.  Based on the HR that is displayed, I'm within range for almost the entire workout time because my HR jumps up pretty quickly once I start moving.  The calorie burn is 2-3 times higher than what any online calculators show so I'm just not sure. 

I'm deducting about 100 calories per hour based on what my normal daily calorie burn is from www.myfitnesspal.com which is 2460 per 24 hour period based on a sedentary lifestyle.  Still, the results seem high.  Based on previous experience with Weight Watchers I'm more convinced it's accurate because I had great success on that plan while eating over my daily point allowance almost daily.  If I actually burn more than their system estimated that would explain why I was able to continue to lose consistently and drop 88 lbs in a year.

I'm just rounding the numbers down to make sure I don't give myself more calories to eat than I should have and will try to stay close to the daily allowed calorie intake of 1430 as much as possible.  So far, varying my intake and exercise calories burned each day is working.  Let's hope I can keep up that momentum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. If you have feedback, please leave it. I may have strong feelings about things but I know that doesn't make them right...all the time. Give me your perspective but...be nice! I don't need a bunch of strangers being nutso in my life! :) Thanks